April 25, 2009

Art Tour - 170409 (last stop - Sculptural Symposium 09)



It was the first time I went to the West Kowloon Waterfront Promenade and it was quite unforgettable. Not to mention the remote site, the exhibits were extremely disappointing, probably due to the overexpectation I got from the promotion materials.

The symposium was all about promoting public art, yet I didn't find any correlation between most works and the site/public. It seems that I can place those sculptures basically anywhere in Hong Kong and they will just be as much unnoticeable. Certainly the scale of the sculptures were another displeasure. Most of them were quite small and they were displayed so close too the ground that I actually had to bow and literally look down upon them at times.

In contrast, the view of the other side of the promenade was much more impressive, especially the new Yau Ma Tei Typhoon Shelter. Walking along the waterfront made me feel like I had entered some local movie settings. The scenes were just too familair yet forgotten to local Hongkongers.

No comments:

Post a Comment