March 15, 2009

Plastic Planet - 130309

Plastic Planet Modified Toy Orchestra-Hong Kong Live 2009
Date: 13 Mar 2009
Venue: Concert Hall, Hong Kong City Hall

Neither the name nor the poster of this show gave me much hint of what this concert was really about. I just found them absurdly interesting and thought that I would learn something and perhaps I could instruct my students to create their own musical instruments with unwanted toys.

In fact, as a modified toy orchestra, there are really a great lot of different musical toy instruments. The whole idea is original and surprising, thanks to the creator of the Orchestra, Brian Duffy. To be frank, I am not very fond of electronic music, luckily, there are also some "love songs" and tracks which are less disturbing and more humorous, especially with the close-up of the players and the toys, and other funny music videos. My favourite is no doubt the interactive soundscape in which Duffy signaled us to say "Yeah" together at the beginning and later incorporated our recorded sound into their song. A truly amusing show~


No comments:

Post a Comment